As first-time gaming PC owners, everything can be exciting, especially once you try playing the latest PC titles. While being a new PC gamer can be overwhelming, you will be able to enjoy it a lot once you understand how to optimize your PC unit.
Here are seven gaming PC optimization tips for new owners:
1 – Enable Game Mode.
Game Mode is a tool in Windows 10/11 that improves the performance of your PC when gaming. Enabling Game Mode for your PC unit helps stabilize the frame rate of video games that demand more resources. It works by giving the game the most of your system resources, especially from the processor and graphics card.
To turn on Game Mode on your gaming PC, follow the steps below:
- Open Settings.
- Choose Gaming.
- Select Game Mode from the left sidebar.
- Toggle on the option.
2 – Download game libraries.
Online gaming platforms feature libraries where you can purchase digital copies of the game. Steam and Epic Games are examples of these gaming platforms. These programs have various games and gaming communities where you can join and interact with other players. You can find popular games on these platforms, such as Fortnite, Valorant, Minecraft, DoTA 2, and many more.
You can buy games from these gaming platforms and download them directly on your gaming PC. You don’t need to go to the stores to purchase DVDs anymore.
3 – Regularly scan for viruses and malware.
Some malicious software, such as viruses or malware, can cause your PC to run slowly or break down over time. The best way to handle this malicious software is to prevent them by running antivirus software and antimalware programs. You also need to keep these programs up to date so they can protect your PC all the time.
Aside from this protective software, Windows operating system also has a program called Windows Security. You can use this program to scan your PC for viruses and malware.
4 – Run Disk Cleanup every now and then.
You will need to run Disk Cleanup regularly to keep your system clean of junk and temporary files that may take up your PC resources. The Disk Cleanup tool helps you delete temporary and system files from your gaming PC.
To run Disk Cleanup, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Menu Search Bar and type disk cleanup. Select Disk Cleanup from the results.
- Select the file types you want to delete. Disk Cleanup will default select Temporary Internet Files, Thumbnails, and Downloaded Program Files.
- To free up more space in your hard drive, select Clean up system files. The tool will show how much free space you can earn from deleting the selected files.
- Once done, select OK to start the cleanup process.
5 – Disable unnecessary startup programs.
When you turn on your gaming PC, a few programs start automatically, run in the background, and often take up resources. The good thing is that you can disable these programs so they won’t automatically run when your gaming PC starts.
To disable unnecessary programs from starting automatically:
- Select the Start button from the Taskbar.
- Select Settings and click App, then Startup.
- In the Startup Apps, find the programs that you want to stop from starting automatically when your PC starts. Set these programs to Off.
6 – Download the latest updates for Windows and hardware devices.
The best way to ensure you optimize your new gaming PC is to download the latest version of your Windows operating system. You need to check for updates that can help improve your overall PC performance.
To check for any updates:
- Go to Start, then select Settings.
- Click on Windows Update, then Check for updates.
- Do either of the following actions:
- If the status shows “You’re up to date,” check for optional updates.
- If the status shows “Updates are available,” download these updates and click Install.
- Select the updates you need to install, and click Install.
- Restart your PC after the update to check if everything is running well.
7 – Use the right PC accessories.
If you spend money on your new gaming PC, it’s only fair that you match them with quality accessories. It’s highly recommended to invest in your gaming accessories for you to experience immersive gameplay of the latest PC titles
Are you looking for a new gaming PC unit? CyberPowerPC has a wide range of prebuilt gaming PCs and laptops you can choose from. Visit our website to check out our latest deals!